Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Gay, gay, everyday!

So... Denver's Gay Pride Festival turned out to be quite fun after all. I always enjoy the company of my mother and sister, so going with them was a definite plus.
The parade was a bit lacking, as far as floats go. It's hard to compare when you've lived in one of the gayest, proudest and loudest cities in the country for so many years. Most of the floats were just cars filled with the typical drag queen or groups handing out flyer's for some gay organization. Tons of beads and candy was being tossed into the crowd. I was sure I was going to lose an eye at one point, but made sure that my sister got her share of beads, as her day wouldn't have been the same without them. The Parade ended with one of the world's longest pink boas.
We started our morning out with mimosa filled thermoses which we almost finished before we even got downtown for the parade. Oops! My sister and I then moved on to $1.00 Jello shots at a bar that we just happend to be standing in front of during the parade. Oops! Some of the worst jello shots I've ever had! This was the beginning of the end. We were so hungry at this point that we ended up eating at McDonald's. French fries and some chicken wrap thing. Ssshhh! Don't tell!
We finally made it to the Civic Center where all the vendors were selling overpriced crap that no one ever needs. Got more drinks. Oops! Walked around. More drinks. Oops! Some concoction called an "O Face", which turned out to be quite delicious! Another "O Face". Another beer. Yikes! Watched a drag performance. She was dressed as Dorothy from the Wizard of Oz, singing, If I Only Had A Snatch! So funny I had tears running down my face.

Walked around some more. We started heading towards the bus stop where we needed to catch the bus in order to get home, but instead I dragged my poor mother and my sister into a lesbian bar. More drinks. Oh Lord! My mother ended up doing some sort of electric slide dance to Michael Jackson's Thriller. Awesome. Finally we hopped in a cab and went home, exhausted. I think we all passed out 5 seconds after we got in the door. I woke up this morning with a horrible sunburn which will soon enough be a horrible tan. Great day overall! So glad we decided to go. I can mark that off my list of things I never have to do again!

My darling sister!

No comments:

Post a Comment